The Community of Westhoff, Texas

 

Location:Highway 87 - DeWitt County, Central Texas South
             14 miles NW of
Cuero, 
S of Gonzales
             Population: 410 est. (2000)

 

History in a "Pecan" Shell

In 1906 as the railroad extended from Cuero to Stockdale, a town was plated and a depot built. The town was originally named "Bello". But when a post office was applied for, the name was rejected by authorities for the similarity to Bells, Texas (Grayson County). In 1909, the town was renamed Westhoff, to honor William Westhoff, Sr.

Westhoff was thriving with 4,800 bales of
cotton ginned at Westhoff's three gins each year. In 1913 a devastating fire destroyed much of downtown and by 1915 the population was a healthy 475. The 1908 school expanded in 1928 and in 1961 was one of the county's three remaining rural school districts. From the 20s to the 50s, Westhoff had 500 residents before it started its decline to the present 410.

 

Westhoff school was established in 1908 while Westhoff was still called "Bello". The first school was a 30' x 50' one room frame building. Later, another two story, four-room brick school was built with funds being obtained by bond issues. In 1928, a six-room brick stucco building was erected. in 1950, the Lindenau and Wallis Ranch schools consolidated with Westhoff School as a result of the Gilmer Aiken Laws passed by Legislature. In 1978, Westhoff Rural School District became an independent school district.

 

On January, 25, 1988 the school was totally destroyed by fire. Following a bond issue, a new school was constructed. In 1997 two classrooms, dining area and cafeteria were added. In 2002, a 70' x 100' covered pavilion was added to the school grounds.

 

WesthoffSchool

 

Westhoff School Building 1929 - 1988

 

WesthoffTXFirstBaptistChurch709WmBeauchamp

 

Westhoff First Baptist Church
Photo courtesy
William Beauchamp, July 2009

 

WesthoffTXChurchJ709WmBeauchamp

 

Westhoff Church
Photo courtesy William Beauchamp, July 2009

 

WesthoffTexasStAloysiusCatholicChurch405JLKinsey

 

Westhoff St. Aloysius Catholic Church
Photo Courtesy Jim and Lou Kinsey, April 2005

 

WesthoffTXCatholicChurch709WmBeauchamp

 

Another view of the Catholic Church
Photo Courtesy Jim and Lou Kinsey, April 2005

 

WesthoffTXStJohnLutheranChurch709WmBeauchamp

 

St. John Lutheran Church
Photo courtesy William Beauchamp, July 2009

 

WesthoffTXStJohnLutheranChurchSign709WmBeauchamp

 

St. John Lutheran Church One Hundredth Anniversay
Photo courtesy William Beauchamp, July 2009
WesthoffTXOldSchoolhouse709WmBeauchamp

 

Westhoff Old Schoolhouse?
Photo courtesy William Beauchamp, July 2009

 

wwhiteleg

 

Historic White Leghorn Cafe located 1 mile past "blinking" light in Westhoff on Hwy. 87 N.

 


WesthoffTXArrowFeedsStore709WmBeauchamp

 

Westhoff's old feeds store
Photo courtesy William Beauchamp, July 2009

 

WesthoffTXStreetScene709WmBeauchamp

 

Westhoff street scene
Photo courtesy William Beauchamp, July 2009

 

WesthoffTXAmericanLegionHall709WmBeauchamp

 

American Legion Hall
Photo courtesy William Beauchamp, July 2009

 

WesthoffTXHistoricalMarker709WmBeauchamp

 

Westhoff Historical Marker
Photo courtesy William Beauchamp, July 2009
WesthoffTXGeorgeLordHistoricalMarker709WmBeauchamp

 

George Lord Historical Marker
Photo courtesy William Beauchamp, July 2009